Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Stoozing.com

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stoozing in Australia (Read 14192 times)
thepearce
Stooz Starter

stoozing.com

stoozpot : 0
Stoozing in Australia
17th Nov, 2007 at 8:03pm

Is it possible?  Anyone have any knowledge of this?

I'm heading out there in January for a year and would love to do some down-under stoozing if possible.

IP Logged

Clariman
Stooz Admin

Co-author of www.stoozing.com

UK

Re: Stoozing in Australia
Reply #1 - 18th Nov, 2007 at 10:36am

Don't know but it could well be. In the early days of this site, Stooz and I discovered that a forum in New Zealand had used some of our site content on their site (without permission), so it must be something that others have at least looked at in that general direction!

IP Logged

thepearce
Stooz Starter

stoozing.com

Reply #2 - 18th Nov, 2007 at 1:49pm

Clariman wrote on 18th Nov, 2007 at 10:36am:
Don't know but it could well be. In the early days of this site, Stooz and I discovered that a forum in New Zealand had used some of our site content on their site (without permission), so it must be something that others have at least looked at in that general direction!

Thanks.  I will report back once out there and settled in. 

I know HBOS = BankWest out there (I currently work for HBOS).  So far I've found this, which is 4 months 0%.  (Can't see any BT fee)

http://www.bankwest.com.au/Personal/Credit_Cards/BankWest_Zero_MasterCard/index.aspx

IP Logged

Clariman
Stooz Admin

Co-author of www.stoozing.com

UK

Reply #3 - 18th Nov, 2007 at 1:59pm

A major player out there who also operates in the UK is National Australia Bank. They own Yorkshire Bank and Clydesdale Bank in the UK. They seem to have a 6 months BT offer - haven't checked for any fees http://www.nab.com.au/Personal_Finance/0,,627,00.html

Same also for another big Aus bank ANZ http://www.anz.com/aus/ind/creditcard/overview.asp

Clariman

IP Logged

NewStu
Senior Stoozer

stoozing.com

Swindonia: the average town

stoozpot : 14,500
Reply #4 - 11th Oct, 2010 at 6:57am

Couldn't agree more. Or less

NewStu

IP Logged

planteria
Senior Stoozer

going down the Wednesbury Road

stoozpot : 48000
Reply #5 - 11th Oct, 2010 at 9:12am

how did you get on thepearce Questioning

IP Logged

HugeBalls
Stooz Starter

Stoozing.com

Reply #6 - 14th Oct, 2010 at 12:32pm

Hello

Currently the best deal in Oz is the HSBC $0, 0% credit card. We have a good half dozen cards that offer 0% balance transfers, but these are offset by the annual fee which is charged right off the bat and accrues at the higher rate (eg 16.99%). Of course, your payments are applied to the balance transfer first, so you'll be charged the high rate for the annual fee.

When you do the maths the interest on the fee isn't that much.

I received my HSBC card in the mail today, with a $12k limit, login to my other CC account and find the 12k has already been applied. Straight onto the mortgage.

Earnings will be over $400 (tax fee) during the interest free period, and over $1000 for the life of my home loan, assuming I make the minimum repayment.

IP Logged

Seiti71
Stooz Starter

Stoozing.com

Reply #7 - 29th Jan, 2012 at 8:33pm

Hey HugeBalls
How did you transfer the money from your cc to your Mortgage?
I am interested in trying hat too.
Thanks mate. Smiley

IP Logged

nathannielson28
Stooz Starter

Stoozing.com

Reply #8 - 28th Apr, 2012 at 8:00am

wow! go Aussie!

IP Logged

zero
Stoozer

Stoozing.com

Reply #9 - 1st Mar, 2014 at 9:27pm

After spending the winter (summer) in Australia, I made the discovery that credit card issuers generally have no problem with positive balances, and that several of my friends have managed to get credit limits of up to $20k, which are then transferred at 0%, and the money is then put directly into their bank account.

These sorts of transfers would generally be rejected if attempting them in the UK.

Also, since credit reports are basic, it is easy to get very high limits because lenders don't see how much credit you have already. This is to change in the next month.

Unfortunately, despite inter-bank payments now usually being processed on the same day, all banks' internet banking appear to move to the next day at midnight. If Australia ever manages to get "faster payments" like the UK, then the only way to exploit this (as per the "Lloyds Vantage stooze") appears to be doing transfers to BankWest, based in WA, from other banks which are based on the east coast, a 2 or 3 hour time difference (or BoQ when there is daylight saving in VIC) Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print