Best Spending Card to back up Amex Cashback?

Credit card news tips and information

Moderator: User Moderator

planteria

Best Spending Card to back up Amex Cashback?

Postby planteria » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:55 pm

having a bit of a swap around at the moment..just moved debt from a Barclaycard Freedom Rewards card to a combination of Lloyds, MBNA and Nationwide...overpaying and bagging the overpayment into my stoozepot in the process.

the Lloyds and Nationwide cards need to be cleared by the time their 0% deals end, in 13 and 12 months respectively [Lloyds i'll be testing..to see if i can get them to revert back to the 20 month deal that i applied for]. so i want to retain my Barclaycard, with a good limit, on the basis that it could be a good home for that debt early in 2017.

but i need a Spending Card to back up Amex Cashback in the few places that don't accept Amex. could just use Freedom Rewards, but the scheme seems a bit naff to me. seen on MSE today that it equates to 0.3% cashback. i could use the Nationwide card, which pays 0.5%...but would have to clear some of the small balance on it to make some space [unless they increase my limit, as i've requested]. or i could ask Barclaycard to morph Freedom Rewards into Cashback Amex/Visa, cut up the Amex, and use the Visa as my backup. or see if they will morph it into an HHonors card...which i did quite like in the past. or i could look for something completely different.

ideas :idea:?

Sarah

Re: Best Spending Card to back up Amex Cashback?

Postby Sarah » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:51 am

I'm using my Nationwide Select (0.5%), unless I expect to spend over £300pcm on VISA in which case I'll use my Halifax Clarity Rewards (£5 flat rate). If you can get the Barclaycard Cashback duo, that could be a good option keeping the extra AMEX to use with their lucrative exclusive offers.

planteria

Postby planteria » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:51 am

ah yes, there could be a benefit in retaining that BCAmex afterall.. good thinking Sarah.
from what i've read, i think moving to BC Cashback ought to be possible.
i quite fancy HHonors, but i don't think that is likely to be transferred in to. according to rewards calculator at MSE it works out to 1.8% 'cashback', which is good, and it's nice to get upgrades etc. if they tell me to close and reapply i'm putting a 37.5CL on the block though
any thoughts as to whether repeat deals for BTs are going to be less likely on a Cashback account with Barclaycard?

StringyBob

Postby StringyBob » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:48 pm

I have an ASDA card which pays 1% cashback at Asda and 0.5% everywhere else. I pay my balance off each month using my Nationwide Select Card which pays 0.5% cashback.

I still have 9 months interest free remaining on my select card, I've tried to get the credit limit increased using their website but was unsuccessful.

planteria

Postby planteria » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:50 am

but you don't earn further cashback by paying off the Asda card with your Nationwide, do you SB?

StringyBob

Postby StringyBob » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:21 pm

Yes you do, just had to double check my nationwide statement.

Only used my nationwide card once last month to pay £100 off my Asda card and I have received 50p cashback on my nationwide account.

On the Asda website, the make a payment button has the option to pay by card and on the drop down there is Mastercard and VISA/Debit.

planteria

Postby planteria » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:28 pm

this is amazing news StringyBob.

planteria

Postby planteria » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:00 pm

I have changed to Barclaycard Cashback today.. As an Amex backup. But StringyBobs revelation is far more important.. Being able to double up on Cashback/Rewards is something special.

joker

Postby joker » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:25 am

Does paying the Asda card with nationwide get treated as a cash withdrawal though?

StringyBob

Postby StringyBob » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:20 pm

It doesn't appear to be treated as a cash advance unless it appears on my next statement.

Here are the details from my January statement dated 14th.
4/1/2016 Sygma Online Payment Solihull Amount £100
Cash reward accrued this month £0.50
Under Interest Summary
Cash Advance APR 27.9% Interest Amount £0.00

Return to “Stoozing Credit Cards”