Closed account

Credit card news tips and information

Moderator: User Moderator

kempiejon

Closed account

Postby kempiejon » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:06 pm

I do like to do a little tidy from time to time and close unused cards. This has two objectives - I can come back in 6 or 12 months as a new customer and get new offers and it reduces my overall credit limit down as I feel a really big available amount can reduce my chance of acceptance. My last 2 applications failed. As a method for keeping alive cards I'm not currently using that I hope will give a repeat I have taken to keeping a small positive balance on unused cards. Natwest wrote to me a few weeks back saying that I'd not used my card for 12 months and in line with their rules they'd be closing my account if I didn't use it or get in touch. This morning the cheque came. Never come across this before. Have any other found this?

Jamesd

Re: Closed account

Postby Jamesd » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:30 am

I haven't seen that particular combination but card issuers do have costs relating to open liabilities for accounts so if an account isn't being used it an be cheaper for them to close the account. Occasional spending is likely to work better to keep the account open than a credit balance.

StoozOrLose

Postby StoozOrLose » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:30 pm

Yes I've had this happen before and its good house keeping on their part really.

Besides having open lines of unused credit isn't the best thing to do when stoozing.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:38 am

They are encouraged if not legally required now to help you with your finances, like closing accounts down. They will do the same with current accounts and savings I think!

planteria

Postby planteria » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:30 am

i've never left a +ve balance on an account, other than when using EM as a Savings Account.
i try to keep things as tidy as i can.

Return to “Stoozing Credit Cards”