Barclaycard breaking link with Amex

Credit card news tips and information

Moderator: User Moderator

planteria

Barclaycard breaking link with Amex

Postby planteria » Fri May 05, 2017 11:05 am

..so their Cashback card is changing from a dual card account to a single card account.

Sarah

Re: Barclaycard breaking link with Amex

Postby Sarah » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Therefore the best cashback rate for affected accounts dropped from 1% to 0.5%. Just managed to get £20 per account from Barclaycard in compensation/goodwill as a result -- late to the party but better than nothing!

planteria

Postby planteria » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:54 pm

per account? how many did you have? and yes, £20s are always worth having.
fwiw i have the Barclaycard Visa in my wallet as an Amex back up, and quite happy with it.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:40 am

I have two of these... one former Egg Money and the other can't even remember anymore what it used to be!

planteria

Postby planteria » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:55 pm

ok got you. i know Barclaycard had gone back into a "maximum 1 account" phase again a few months ago. £20s are worth having. fwiw i'm not sure i'd keep both - you could ask them to merge the limits onto one account, perhaps the longest-standing account.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Sarah wrote:I have two of these... one former Egg Money and the other can't even remember anymore what it used to be!

I see from my records that the second one was originally a Morgan Stanley card.

planteria wrote:i know Barclaycard had gone back into a "maximum 1 account" phase again a few months ago.

Yes, just been informed of that myself too. I still had 4 cards and got thinking I can't see any purpose in keeping 2 of them (boring ones without cashback or rewards) so decided to close those - once I confirmed that was my purpose in calling Barclaycard today the CS representative did it in a flash without question! He mentioned I'd need to close them all if I ever want to apply for any of their other cards - they seem pretty keen to get extra cards off their books now!

planteria

Postby planteria » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:43 am

yes, they're tidying up. i've got an account with a high limit with them that i currently use for spending. i want a repeat deal in August, and will probably take the best they'll offer/negotiate, as i can't apply for a 2nd card with an initial deal on & merge the limit across. fwiw i am slowly chipping away at my stoozedebt nowadays, whereas in the past i was always trying to increase the borrowing when i transferred.

Return to “Stoozing Credit Cards”