Friendly Society stoozepots

Where to make the most of your savings

Moderator: User Moderator

planteria

Friendly Society stoozepots

Postby planteria » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:42 pm

i am investing in Friendly Societies, in a couple of ways:
* i use some £5 or £10/m DDs into plans helping to qualify for Rates/Rewards from current accounts.
* also invest long-term for a 'solid' investment that sits alongside ISAs and SIPPs.
one of the points that appeals to me is that plans can be set up in a way that enables returns to be generated on funds not yet invested.
i have a couple of angles for any stoozers who want to know more, so if interested please pm me.

planteria

Re: Friendly Society stoozepots

Postby planteria » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:35 am

having had another child at the start of this month, I have been looking at Life Assurance, Critical Illness Cover and Income Protection - reaches the stage in life when I ought to start being responsible :D.

it’s interesting to look at it with advisors and realise how good these FS plans can be. Life Assurance with a plan which will pay you back all of your premiums at retirement works for me.. I don't like wasting money, but I like to invest.

sparkey1

Postby sparkey1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:24 pm

Appreciate that its an old thread, but if your preretirement, and you have a SIPP you can choose your own investments and beneficeries if you die. If you dont die, hopefully your investments will have grown.

Obviously the benefit of the life assurance is that you can leverage your premium to get a higher payout quicker.

planteria

Postby planteria » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:28 am

so your point is that you can use your pension pot as a fund to pass on to beneficiaries rather than buy insurance? i suppose the best solution is "do both".

i find that Friendly Societies are useful in terms of generating DDs to satisfy current account requirements, and in the process build up pots from regular payments that you will never miss. but also well beyond that: products that can represent useful elements of long-term financial planning, products that can provide health care, and products that can provide life assurance alongside investments.

Return to “Savings & Stooz Pots”