co-op discount

Tell us your deals or ask for advice

Moderator: User Moderator

stooz
Site Admin

co-op discount

Postby stooz » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:46 pm

In case you have missed it, you can now become a co-op member for £1 year and get 5% back on your shopping.
as loyalty cards go, that's a pretty good rate.

http://www.coop.co.uk/membership/

Sarah

Re: co-op discount

Postby Sarah » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:50 pm

Thought I already was a member, although I've never paid a fee and I don't seem to receive any mutual benefits, despite swiping my membership card when shopping there. I do occasionally get a useful money off coupon with my checkout receipt.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:30 am

It's new, you will probably have to re setup an account

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:43 pm

Oh... automatically received a new card in the post today, replacing my existing one. No £1 to pay!

Sadly the 5% back probably doesn't cover the amount their prices are higher than competitors, although superstores presumably compare better than convenience stores. They do some good £5 frozen meal deals from time to time; however note that the 5% is only applicable to Co-op branded products.

planteria

Postby planteria » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:29 am

i have received the card and wasn't aware of the £1/yr fee, either.
5% is indeed a great cb rate, but as above it's all about the prices you have to pay to generate it..
in the Midlands most of the Co-ops i call at are Central England or Midcounties branches..

cashback

Postby cashback » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:06 pm

I can feel a loophole in the offing here regarding the 5% cb on co-op branded items.

I'll do some investigation and report back any successes.

Thanks for highlighting this opportunity

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:03 am

Incidentally membership numbers haven't changed; turns out it makes no difference if you continue using an old membership card or switch to the new blue one. I bought the £5 frozen meal deal yesterday, earning my first 3p reward!

planteria

Postby planteria » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:16 am

that's right that the old cards work the same way.. but all members are to be sent the new replacement card.
what they really Ought to do is bring all of the regional Co-ops together and form a grocery company and have a real go at the convenience sector with the economies of scale required.

Anon

Postby Anon » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:20 am

Sarah wrote:Oh... automatically received a new card in the post today, replacing my existing one. No £1 to pay!

Sadly the 5% back probably doesn't cover the amount their prices are higher than competitors, although superstores presumably compare better than convenience stores. They do some good £5 frozen meal deals from time to time; however note that the 5% is only applicable to Co-op branded products.

That is brilliant :) - their prices are higher so we will get even more as it is 5% off the higher price ... oh hang on, that doesn't make sense ... :oops:

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:50 pm

So, apparently these benefits only apply in some of their stores. I didn't realise that. They started doing personalised weekly offers last Autumn, that you can select using the website or the app; since then I've popped into a local Co-op most weeks to enjoy money off a couple of items.

However, today I visited a different Co-op branch instead and found that although loyalty cards scan there, they don't participate in the weekly offers or even allow points to be earned or redeemed. The member of staff at checkout said it's because they're a different Co-op society and pointed to a yellow sticker on the door that identifies it. That's fair enough, but having subtle differences between branches, even in the same town, seems unnecessarily confusing for customers...

Return to “Deals & Tips”