Natwest £100 switch

Tell us your deals or ask for advice

Moderator: User Moderator

Sarah

Natwest £100 switch

Postby Sarah » Sat May 19, 2018 5:08 am

I'll be going for this - haven't had a Natwest current account since 1996 so hopefully an easy £100 to offload another useless Yorkshire Bank account. It seems there was a Natwest £125 switch offer from Jan-Feb earlier this year, but I didn't hear about that one; going back beyond 2018 it's nearly a decade since their previous switch offer...

Switch online to us and get £100!

This offer is available to new and existing customers who switch their current account online.

Just use the Current Account Switch Service online to close your old current account held elsewhere and switch into one of our eligible accounts before 15 June.

You’ll need to pay in at least £1,500 and log in to Online Banking or our Mobile Banking app by 13 July. We’ll then pay the £100 by 10 August 2018.

https://beta.natwest.com/personal/current_accounts.html

planteria

Re: Natwest £100 switch

Postby planteria » Sat May 19, 2018 8:05 pm

it's a good deal. i haven't really got a 'spare' amongst my current accounts though.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:57 pm

This has already been one of my worst switching experiences. Applying was problematic in the first place due to being recognised as a former Natwest (ISA) customer, even though I didn't have any accounts still open. My last account with Natwest was closed years ago!

I nevertheless had a new Natwest current account opened successfully a few days later and could see it online -- was able to make payments in (but no payments out yet, as needed to wait for a card reader to be sent; they actually don't even allow you to attempt card verification until they've dispatched it, so it's no help having other card readers already)!

Then one day it seems their online banking can no longer find my account. I can login successfully but afterwards just see errors when the system tries to locate it. Just a glitch I assumed, but no, another 5 days later I'm still getting the same problem every time. I also tried to use a cash machine today yet that too failed with a message about access to my account being unavailable!

In the meantime, the switch has completed, therefore my Yorkshire Bank account and its balance are gone, despite me having no service with Natwest for over a week including weekends and bank holidays.

So this is yet another banking adventure in which I'm very glad it was an unused account that was switched, as anyone experiencing the same issues with their main current account would be somewhat up the creek without a paddle!

I decided this morning not to even bother with technical support this time and have gone straight for a complaint... asked them to fix it and provide compensation. No response yet!

planteria

Postby planteria » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:03 am

Sarah wrote:So this is yet another banking adventure in which I'm very glad it was an unused account that was switched,.

indeed Sarah. messing around with accounts that we actually need continuous access to can be dangerous. it's good to be a stoozer with spares :mrgreen:.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:14 am

Having heard nothing about my complaint after a week and still no access to my account, I called Natwest helpline on Thursday evening and waited 20 minutes only to be told they couldn't help/didn't know what's happened and could only suggest that I try visiting a branch instead. I'm not impressed.

I nevertheless received a written response to my complaint yesterday. They've rejected it, saying that my account has been blocked by fraud prevention measures and since Natwest fraud prevention procedures were apparently followed correctly, they consider that Natwest has done nothing wrong.

So, it seems that during the account switch process they think it's okay to send me progress reports by text message pretty much every day, or even multiple times per day, yet apparently when they suspect fraud on my account it's acceptable Natwest procedure not to actually contact the account holder at all, by any means, over a period of more than two weeks!

I shall be glad to be rid of this lot again when the time comes! :roll:

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:15 pm

Well, never did I imagine that the simple act of opening a Natwest current account would begin a saga where I end up on the brink of involving the Financial Ombudsman Service before the account is even fully up and running!

So many calls and visits to branches, pretty much every day over the last week; so much needlessly wasted time... what a useless and detached bunch they seem to employ. Anyhow, despite insisting they're faultless and won't pay any compensation, I can see they've actually credited my account with £40 today. I expect another letter to follow. That helps a bit, but doesn't make up for such an awful customer experience and right now their gift can only sit together with the rest of my transferred funds whilst I still remain blocked from undertaking any transactions. I'm telling them to make their next attempt a final response...

planteria

Postby planteria » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:46 am

they're a shower.. good luck with resolving it Sarah.
all you can do is try to extract as much as possible from them in the process.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:40 am

They declined to increase the compensation, despite further problems, but I eventually got full access to my account; took around a month overall.

The £100 switch is also available from RBS until 9 July:
https://www.beta.rbs.co.uk/personal/cur ... ounts.html

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:54 am

The RBS switch offer terms exclude customers that have taken up a recent Natwest switch offer:
https://www.beta.rbs.co.uk/content/dam/ ... -may18.pdf

You won’t be eligible for this offer if you’ve already taken advantage of a cash
offer from NatWest between October 2017 and May 2018 for (i) opening a new
current account and switching to NatWest or (ii) upgrading your existing NatWest
current account.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:45 pm

It's all over for me, thankfully... £100 incentive received today! :D

Return to “Deals & Tips”