BT and Purchases on the same card

Credit card news tips and information

Moderator: User Moderator

planteria

BT and Purchases on the same card

Postby planteria » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:35 pm

i have been stoozing for years, and consistently use credit cards for all purchases, but i've never done the following before:

i have a c£21k balance with MBNA which needs to be cleared before the 0% deal comes to an end on 1st September. i have already moved just under £5k to Nationwide, and i want to move the remainder rather than pay off the balance.

i have a Barclaycard with a £30k+ limit which I have been using for spending, and generating cashback in the process. In order to use this card to transfer the c£16k i was planning to clear the current Barclaycard balance in full, do the BT, and then leave the card at home - potentially spending on the MBNA card as an Amex backup from then onwards.

However, Barclaycard are assuring me that I don't need to. I can complete the BT and leave the purchase balance on the account, and as long as I clear the purchase balance each month they are assuring me that I will be charged any interest at all. I would change my Barclaycard DD from Full to Minimum, and then make a payment from my current account, by FP, each month to clear the full purchase balance by the due date.

is this right? or should this really be avoided?

planteria

Re: BT and Purchases on the same card

Postby planteria » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:42 pm

having clarified further on the phone, i've gone with it.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:08 pm

I replied on imutual but too late! Hope it works out anyway... if not, hopefully they recorded the call so you can refer back to the timestamp above when you complain, lol!

planteria

Postby planteria » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:17 pm

my thoughts entirely Sarah. i think it will work out fine, but if not then maybe i'll be able to BT back to MBNA anyway :)

Return to “Stoozing Credit Cards”