Barclaycard breaking link with Amex

Credit card news tips and information

Moderator: User Moderator

planteria

Barclaycard breaking link with Amex

Postby planteria » Fri May 05, 2017 11:05 am

..so their Cashback card is changing from a dual card account to a single card account.

Sarah

Re: Barclaycard breaking link with Amex

Postby Sarah » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Therefore the best cashback rate for affected accounts dropped from 1% to 0.5%. Just managed to get £20 per account from Barclaycard in compensation/goodwill as a result -- late to the party but better than nothing!

planteria

Postby planteria » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:54 pm

per account? how many did you have? and yes, £20s are always worth having.
fwiw i have the Barclaycard Visa in my wallet as an Amex back up, and quite happy with it.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:40 am

I have two of these... one former Egg Money and the other can't even remember anymore what it used to be!

planteria

Postby planteria » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:55 pm

ok got you. i know Barclaycard had gone back into a "maximum 1 account" phase again a few months ago. £20s are worth having. fwiw i'm not sure i'd keep both - you could ask them to merge the limits onto one account, perhaps the longest-standing account.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Sarah wrote:I have two of these... one former Egg Money and the other can't even remember anymore what it used to be!

I see from my records that the second one was originally a Morgan Stanley card.

planteria wrote:i know Barclaycard had gone back into a "maximum 1 account" phase again a few months ago.

Yes, just been informed of that myself too. I still had 4 cards and got thinking I can't see any purpose in keeping 2 of them (boring ones without cashback or rewards) so decided to close those - once I confirmed that was my purpose in calling Barclaycard today the CS representative did it in a flash without question! He mentioned I'd need to close them all if I ever want to apply for any of their other cards - they seem pretty keen to get extra cards off their books now!

planteria

Postby planteria » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:43 am

yes, they're tidying up. i've got an account with a high limit with them that i currently use for spending. i want a repeat deal in August, and will probably take the best they'll offer/negotiate, as i can't apply for a 2nd card with an initial deal on & merge the limit across. fwiw i am slowly chipping away at my stoozedebt nowadays, whereas in the past i was always trying to increase the borrowing when i transferred.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:49 am

An interesting aside in this new article - must be 30-40 years since the duopoly of Barclaycard and Access was broken yet according to Barclaycard figures they process "nearly half of the nation's credit and debit card transactions" (seems likely this includes services provided to third parties and via the stake it still holds in VISA, etc. the article isn't specific about what it means; nevertheless clearly nothing much has changed):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46279638

Return to “Stoozing Credit Cards”