Fund Selection for ISA

Where to make the most of your savings

Moderator: User Moderator

planteria

Fund Selection for ISA

Postby planteria » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:47 pm

i have been reorganising my ISA portfolio and i'm looking at selecting a managed fund to sit alongside some individual shares.

my SIPP is invested in the Marlborough Special Situations fund. it has done well for me and i am tempted to select a Marlborough fund for my ISA too.

i also have some pension money invested very conservatively, along with investments in Friendly Societies which are also very conservatively managed, in large cap equities and property.

my ISA is currently invested in 6 FTSE100 companies plus Amazon - my largest holding. i am looking at picking a fund which would become my largest holding. i am open-minded, but i try to dabble with FTSE100 megacaps/yielders myself, and so something other than a general FTSE100 fund would work well for me. perhaps a Smaller Companies fund, as above, or perhaps more of a hedge fund, or perhaps an investment trust would be a good option. i quite like the look of Slater Growth, and it's concentrated portfolio. i looked at the RIT fund but it looks too much a Fund of Funds for my liking.

i potentially want a fund that i can feel comfortable dipping in & out of, so it may be that i sell a holding and move the cash into the fund in question, perhaps then selling a portion again to buy another individual company at some stage - if something seems a good idea.

i am using iii as a platform, as it stands.

any thoughts/ideas?

kempiejon

Re: Fund Selection for ISA

Postby kempiejon » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:31 am

I'm not much one for funds, I do like investment trusts and ETFs. I also hold large cap FSTE 100/250 high yielders. I've been put off funds by charges. ETFs with no stamp duty and low, low sub 0.25% ongoing annual charges win me over.
A word on diversity, I have been increasing my international exposure with Murray International Investment Trust and a selection of international and worldwide ETFs.

planteria

Postby planteria » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:43 am

thank you kempie, interesting. i am open to an investment trust, as i said. i receive "Trust" from Baillee Gifford.

planteria

Postby planteria » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:38 pm

i didn't go ahead with buying a fund for my ISA kempie.. i have Marlborough Special Situations in my SIPP, i have some pension funds and a RSP, my ISA is all in direct shares.

planteria

Postby planteria » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:42 pm

fwiw this has remained the case so far. my ISA is concentrated off the scale: AMZN, GOOGL and Cash.

planteria

Postby planteria » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:47 am

fwiw for the past few months i've had part of my ISA invested in the Ruffer fund, which has survived the virus challenges well.

Return to “Savings & Stooz Pots”