Lloyds Bank Cashback - any good?

Tell us your deals or ask for advice

Moderator: User Moderator

FoxInSox

Lloyds Bank Cashback - any good?

Postby FoxInSox » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:20 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask - but I've got an Amex cashback card which is fine but doesn't always get accepted. So I've been using a Barclaycard cashback card (inherited from my use of the Egg Money card, Stoozing fans of yore!). Their website and phone app are appalling though (like they're trying to make me hate them!), and they aren't compatible with Google Wallet/Android Pay, which is extra annoying. It means I can't just swipe with my phone and review payments like I can with Amex or my Santander bank card (although Google doesn't always seem to get things right but it's good enough).

So I was looking at Lloyds, and it feels like it might be a good alternative to the Barclaycard:

https://www.lloydsbank.com/credit-cards/cashback.html

No fees. 0.25% cashback on every £1 you spend up to £4,000, and 0.5% for every £1 you spend over £4,000.

It looks like it works with Google:

https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/12168909?hl=en

So I think I'll switch to it (don't need to do a BT). Anyone know of any hidden gotchas - or anything better for cashback?

planteria

Re: Lloyds Bank Cashback - any good?

Postby planteria » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:21 am

i haven't used the Lloyds card FIS, but for a long time i had Amex Cashback backed by Barclaycard Cashback too. Amex always great cs, though i've changed the card with them now, and agreed: Barclaycard are hard work cs-wise. i've had an ongoing problem with them re a chargeback. they refund and then come again and again asking for more information when all was entirely clear from the outset.

Sarah

Postby Sarah » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:32 am

I use Barclaycard Cashback as my main credit card, but don't do contactless with Google Wallet/Android Pay so that doesn't affect me. Transactions can be seen within the Barclays banking app. I more often use gift cards or the Chase debit card than a credit card these days; to benefit from higher cashback rates (although my first year of Chase ends soon). I don't have any Lloyds credit cards at present.

FoxInSox

Postby FoxInSox » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:43 am

Sarah wrote:I use Barclaycard Cashback as my main credit card, but don't do contactless with Google Wallet/Android Pay so that doesn't affect me. Transactions can be seen within the Barclays banking app. I more often use gift cards or the Chase debit card than a credit card these days; to benefit from higher cashback rates (although my first year of Chase ends soon). I don't have any Lloyds credit cards at present.

Yes, I think for me it's just the convenience of Google Wallet. Swipe payments are easier as I have my phone in my hand, but to switch to Barclaycard in a shop if they don't take Amex means I have to use the physical card as switching to their app is too much of a faff. I've applied for the Lloyds card now so let's see!

Interesting about the gift cards/Chase debit cards though...

Return to “Deals & Tips”